Ministry of interior, federal affairs and democratization
Support Contractual service/ short term consultant
Term of Reference (TOR)
Description of the post
Ministry of interior, federal affairs and democratization is seeking a support contractual
service/short term consultant to lead the matters of reconciliation and peace building; the
duration of this consultancy service is 4 month but possible of renewable subject on the
consultancy performance, the ministry of interior, federal and democratization affairs is inviting
Somali national applicants for the following consultant position.
Consultant title: support contractual service/short term consultant on reconciliation
Supervisor: ministry of interior, federal affairs and democratization
Job category: short term consultant
Duty station: Garowe
Contract start date: immediately
Organizational and the project description
Somali is under recovery stage, FGS and FMS is leading an important effort to improve social,
economical and political course of the country, including efforts of peace building and
The Purpose of this project is to support PLS Establishment of, and Support to, the National
Reconciliation Commission/Forum, and Reconciliation Plans at FGS and FMS working through
MoIFAR and related FMS bodies.
This will involve supporting the ongoing establishment of the designated bodies, institutional
capacity development, training and support for necessary research and diagnostics, support to
national reconciliation plans and conferences and associated meetings/mediation. This activity
also supports the development of National Level Reconciliation forum/bodies and required
public administration grievances mechanism at FGS and FMS level. REFS has also budgeted
resources to ensure both FGS and FMS participation, provided such involvement is agreed upon
between the state, communities and federal officials. This activity also will provide some support
to preparatory work for the formation of the proposed Truth and Reconciliation Commission if
Strengthen State and Non-State Actors Capacity and Government-Citizen Engagement to support
State Legitimacy, Support FMSs/FGS and other actors working in emerging states to have
increased awareness of conflict dynamics. Provide technical assistance and other support to non-
State actors/ elders, and other community leaders on conflict management and community
problem solving. This involves a focus on conflict management training and awareness, support
to community reconciliation efforts and reconciling interest groups in management of the State,
collaborating with local and national actors to identify priorities and develop relevant strategies
to garner support for local good governance. Conflict resolution mechanisms are more effective
when they include women’s perspectives and ensure that women can influence processes
including local administration.
Objective of the assignment
The overall objective of the assignment is to assist and support reconciliation aspect of
the ministry interior, federal affairs and democratization and technically support
reconciliation advisor under the guidelines of the ministry, the consultant will ensure that
the function outlined below and scope of work is satisfactory carried out.
The function of the support contractual service/short term consultant
1. Prepare report, collect baseline assessment data and maintain data bases.
2. Assist in conducting baseline conflict assessment and peace mapping, research and
coordination of data and research on conflict and peace across state.
3. Help set up conflict early warning and early response mechanism to monitor localized
conflict in all areas.
4. Assist working closely with elders in the regions on peace building on conflicted areas in
5. Assist formulate handout for peace building on conflict resolution session.
6. Assist design result based reconciliation and peace building state level and peace building
activities across districts, regions, and identify reconciliation gaps where they exist.
7. Assist provide input to policy development and strategic advice to MOIFAD on the
matters relating to social, cultural, resource and political based reconciliation.
8. Assist develop and update matrix mapping out reconciliation activities undertaken by
9. Any other task assigned by the ministry of interior, federalism affairs and
10. Develop Conflict resolution mechanisms which gives role to women in all stages to be
effective actor/player in conflict resolution process
11. Strengthen State and Non-State Actors Capacity in Conflict Mitigation and Government-
12. Support to non-State actors/ elders, and other community leaders on conflict management
and community problem solving.
13. Focus on conflict management training and awareness, support to community
reconciliation efforts and reconciling interest groups in management of the State
14. Support establishment of Public Accountability Fora and undertake conflict management
and political awareness to enhance government-citizen engagement.
1. Complete framework and strategy for reconciliation.
2. Finalized Detailed action plan related to reconciliation activities setting out existing and
planned activities, roles and responsibilities of different actors and timelines.
3. Completed conflict resolution mechanism which gives women role and includes in all
stages of reconciliation process for women.
4. Completed community reconciliation plan and peace building.
5. National reconciliation framework in place.
6. Mapping conflict hotspot areas in Puntland.
Report to be provided
Prepared month reports
Prepare quarterly report with the technical advisor
Prepare annual report
1. The consultant shall work under the direct of the ministry of interior, federalism and
reconciliation, achievement of deliverable will be approved by the minister, payment will
be made upon the certification of the minister of time, sheets for actual dates of work and
consultant performance in accordance with activities and deliverable as reported in
Duty station of the consultant will be at the office of the ministry of interior, federal affairs and
Required qualification and skills
Master degree in Political science, International relation, conflict resolution and peace
and any other related knowledge’s
At least two years of proven experience in the field of reconciliation, peace and conflict
Specific experience in carrying out the test described in this TOR.
Fluency in English and Somali
Strong interpersonal skills
Able to co-facilitate the trainings, seminars, workshops, consultative meeting etc
Able to work under very conflicting and pressure work environment
Demonstrate outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills
Strong IT skills including power point, word, excel and other required technology
How to apply
Interested candidates are encourage to apply by sending their CV and cover letter to the
following email email@example.com no later than September 30, 2019.